Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Latent Heat of Fusion Question?

Im currently doing revision for a Maths Resit by doing a couple of past papers. Now Ive come accross a question in the paper that I cant work out how to answer, even after looking through all my notes. Its a multiple part question but the bit I cant do is:





If the Latent heat of fusion is 4.5x10^5 how much heat is released as it solidifies?


You also need to know that we are talking about a granitic batholith with a volume of 240000 a density of 2500 and a mass of 600,000,000.





I dont want the answer but the equation to work it out for myself :)


Thanks|||You are missing units for all the numbers, so I can't give you an answer. But I can show you how.



Dimensional analysis will solve a lot of these problems for you. Here is an example:



How much energy does it take to freeze 3 kg of water?

heat of fusion of ice is 334 kJ/kg

Energy in kJ = 334 kJ/kg x 3 kg

notice how the kg's cancel leaving the kJ units.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment